The COVID-19 pandemic has presented athletics across the world with a myriad of challenges. The Shippensburg Area School District will take the necessary precautions and recommendations from the federal, state and local governments, CDC, PA Department of Health, as well as the National Federation of State High School Association (NFHS) and PIAA. On June 24, 2020, the Shippensburg Area School Board of Directors approved the SASD Athletic Department Resocialization of Sports Recommendations. Click on the following link to review the plan:
Shippensburg Area School District is committed to following the Governor’s guidelines for attendance. Due to those restrictions, we will adhere to the following items below concerning spectator attendance. We ask that Shippensburg spectators respect the attendance policies at each of the schools we are visiting. Home Varsity Football games will be live streamed on www.midpennbroadcasting.com. Away game live streaming links will be advertised on Twitter@SASDAthletics and through Booster clubs.
See the guidelines below for each fall sport.
- Boys and Girls Soccer – Games played at memorial Park will cap attendance at 450 total. For games played behind the High School, each athlete will be permitted to have two family members in attendance. Admission will be charged. Visiting spectators will be admitted.
- HS/MS Field Hockey – each athlete will be permitted to have two family members attend each home game. Visiting spectators will be admitted.
- Cross Country – each athlete will be permitted to have two family members attend each home race. No spectators will be permitted at the start/finish line. Visiting spectators will be admitted.
- Varsity Football – each Shippensburg athlete will be permitted to have two family members attend each home game. This includes Cheerleaders and Pep Band. No visiting spectators will be admitted. Admission will be charged. See www.midpennbroadcasting.com for live stream.
- JV and Freshman Football – Games played at Memorial Park will cap attendance at 450 total. This includes Cheerleaders. Admission will be charged. Visiting spectators will be admitted.
- Volleyball – Each athlete will be permitted to have two family members attend each home game. Admission will be charged. Visiting spectators will be admitted.
Our district will continue to review the compliance of our facilities and any new guidelines set forth by the Governor’s office, the Department of Health, the PIAA, and the Mid Penn Conference.
In addition to the spectators limit, please abide by the following guidelines:
1. All spectators must wear a mask at all times when inside the facility. If there is a medical reason that you will not be wearing a mask, documentation must be provided before entering.
2. When inside the stadium or on the sideline for field hockey and soccer, you must social distance no less than 6 feet from other families.
3. If there are multiple games at the facility (example: JV followed by Varsity), and your student-athlete plays first, we ask that you leave prior to the start of the next competition. If you are the parent of a student-athlete participating in the second contest, please arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to start time.
2020-2021 S.A.S.D. ATHLETIC GUIDELINES
Any student who plans on participating in a school sport in the 2020-2021 school year must have an athletic physical on or after June 1, 2020. This physical examination will be valid for the entire 2020-2021 school year. Prior to the Winter and Spring seasons, updated health information will be required via re-certification paper if there is already a physical on file in the Athletic Department.
Please follow the instructions below:
- Get a physical – Students must acquire the appropriate form from the school or on our website (see link). Turn in the original copy to the Athletic Office. Click here for PIAA physical evaluation form
- Parent/Guardian and student need to register and complete all forms on the on-line registration on PlanetHS. If you registered previously, you will not need to start over, sign on with your saved login and password and confirm and update information. Click here for new Online registration for student athlete directions.
- Winter and Spring athletes that already have a physical on file and are registered online will need to complete Section 7 (Recertification) and Section 10 (COVID) on PlanetHS.
- Take the on-line Impact Concussion Test at home if needed (see link). Concussion testing is required once every two years, typically in Grades 7, 9 and 11. If you are not sure of your status, please check with the Athletic Office. Failure to take your concussion test could affect being able to tryout or start the sport on time. Click here Concussion testing information.
The deadline for Winter sports paperwork to be completed is November 6th. The first day of Winter sports is November 20th. Check back for tryout times and locations.
Open Gym information (Note: participants of open gym must have completed all paperwork online):
High School Girls Basketball – T/W, 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. Held in the Middle School gym.
High School Boys Basketball – contact email@example.com for a schedule.
High School Swim – M/T/Th – 3:15 – 5:00 p.m.
Middle School Girls Basketball open gym will start on November 3rd and be held every T/W from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.
Middle School Boys Basketball open gym will start on Monday, October 26th from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. Additional dates will be on M/Th starting on November 2nd.
Additional sports will be listed as information is received.
Check out www.shippensburgathletics.org to view schedules, sign up for email alerts and more
School Hours: (717) 530-2730 ext 1063
After Hours: (717) 530-2730 ext 1061
|High School Assistant
|Secretary to the
Middle School Assistant
Picture provided by Stacey Lawson